I am posting this on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning (02:09am Mountain Time) on March 8th, 2020. I am starting to drink 1 gallon of water a day tomorrow plus I am exercising for 30 minutes minimum EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Even when my apartment complex’s gym is closed on Sundays or on days where I am so lazy I couldn’t care less.
I watched the above video which references this article. I was surprised by the results. While the image is clickbait-y for sure, the overall theme of the video is entertaining and informative. I have been trying to lose weight for a few years now and within the last year I am down 40lbs! My heaviest was 220lbs and now I am around 180lbs though I don’t weigh myself that much. I focus mostly on how I look as that is more important and muscle is heavier than fat so I could be going up on the scale but down in the mirror, the mirror is more important than the scale anyhow. I learned that a long time ago.
Anyway, my goal weight is around 140lbs though I would be perfectly fine int he 150lb range as well. To get down I have been drinking more water and eating better and while that worked for a while, I have been going through a lot of crap in my personal life lately with my husband going into and being discharged from the Army all in the span of 1 year. If you want to hear about that, leave a comment and let me know. I’d be more than happy to complain about the U.S. Army to anyone that wants to here it.
I digress. The biggest reason why I wanted to start this challenge after watching that video is because lately I haven’t been drinking as much water as necessary and at one point (about 2 months ago) I got so dehydrated that I was throwing up and had a massive migraine. Due to that, I started researching free apps for my iPhone that could be used to track my water intake as well as remind me to drink water incessantly. I found Drink Water Reminder N Tracker. I have been using it for about 2 weeks and while the ads are annoying, they only happen once a day and are easily dismissed. With it you can set up reminders whenever you’d like1
I decided that instead of using a half gallon jug or even carrying around a gallon jug, I’m going to carry around the water bottle shown to the left. I decided this because it is a lot easier to carry and I tend to drink a lot more water out of a straw than in a container as shown in the video above. That’s just how I am personally. I could get several other bottles that have straws but I find this one to be the most convenient with my lifestyle.2
You may be wondering why I’m doing this or what the point is. Those are very good questions. Let me dive into the benefits first.
Benefits of Drinking more than 20-60oz of water a day
These are in no particular order but here we go:
- Avoid Dehydration. In Arizona, or any desert state/country/county it is VERY important you drink PLENTY of water every day to avoid dehydration.
- More Energy. I notice this when I get dehydrated. I feel sluggish and tired and even tonight. I’ve drank only 40oz and that picture shows me on my way to 60oz of water tonight. Before I filled it up, I was so sluggish but now that I drank a bit I have more energy. This is something I always notice.
- Clearing Up Acne. I haven’t noticed this yet, but it is something I am hoping to accomplish with this challenge.
- Shed a few pounds. The woman in the video claims that she lost 3lbs by doing this for only 1 week. I completely believe this is possible as when you are drinking this much water, you don’t have time/need for as much food and aren’t as hungry.
- Improved Brain Function. I notice this as well when I drink water. Going back to the bottle I’m drinking now, I notice that I am foggy when I’m dehydrated, too. Drinking even a bit of water has me feeling TONS better.
There are more benefits listed in the article but those are the important ones that I wanted to touch on.
What am I looking to accomplish with this challenge? What is the point?
I have a few goals in mind, these are not going to be in any order:
- Lose weight. As I said earlier, I still have another 30-40lbs to lose. I figure this can only help and not hurt.
- Healthier Diet. This is going to be the hardest one. I want to eat better and cut as many useless sugars out of my diet as possible. I have gotten rid of all of my unhealthy cereals3 as well as most other unhealthy foods in the house.
- Clearer Skin. I suffer from adult acne, especially around the time of my period. It usually comes in around where my glasses sit on my nose or on my chin, basically wherever I put my hands the most. I want to get rid of it completely.
- Better Sleep/More Energy. I don’t tend to sleep well as I have depression and I’m in the thick of it right now. I don’t feel sad or upset or anything but I have all of the other symptoms. This is something I have struggled with since I was a child. I am hoping that I can get the depression under control during this time and start getting better sleep (more efficient sleep) as well as have more energy during the day.
Those are just the top 4 things I could think of that would improve my life if I am able to successfully complete this challenge. As far as the point of this challenge, the point is to have a happier, healthier life so I can live longer when I have children in the future I can be in their lives as long as possible and keep up with them during their younger years. Obesity runs in my family and I have no plans to fall into that trap anytime during my life. I don’t care if I am 18 or 80, I refuse to be morbidly obese like other members of my family (that I refuse to name). It is one of my top fears in my life that I will end up morbidly obese and I do not want that to happen. I saw what it did to members of my family and what it is currently doing and I don’t want to go through what they are going through.
Any who, moving on…
What dates will this challenge occur on?
I am starting this challenge when I wake up today. I am up late and I have to get my husband at 6am Mountain Time from base to bring him back to the apartment. So, I am starting this challenge promptly at 6am Mountain Time on Sunday, March 8th, 2020. I am going to post weekly check-ins every Sunday until Sunday, April 5th, 2020.4
What exercises are you planning to do during this challenge? What about on Sunday’s when you don’t have access to a gym?
When I have access to the gym Monday through Saturday I plan to do the following exercises5
- 20/20/20 #1: 20 minutes of Legs with the Leg Press, Hip Abduction Machine, and Leg Curl Machine. Then 20 minutes on the elliptical doing the Interval Setting where it alternates every minute between level 1 and level 11 or 12. Finally 20 minutes of Arms with Single Arm Rowers with the 20lb weights, Arm Curls with the 20lb weights, and Bench Press with the 40lb long bar. This exercise I do when I have access to the gym on the Army Post. Which means whenever I am not lazy about driving 15 min up there and 15 min back.
- 20/20/20 #2: 20 minutes of Abs with the Lower Back Machine and Ab Machine. 20 minutes of the elliptical6 Finally 20 minutes of legs with the stair stepper.7 Again this workout is done when I use the gym on the Army Post.
- 20/20 or 30/30 (depending on my mood): 20-30 minutes of abs with different versions of crunches as well as planks. Then 20-30 minutes on either the elliptical or doing my arms. Arm exercises would be the same as 20/20/20 #1.
- Elliptical: On days where I am extremely lazy or sore, I will focus on doing the elliptical only. I would use the treadmill but the elliptical not only works out your entire body but it focuses on cardio a lot better than the treadmill. Only thing better is the stair stepper.
On Sundays, I have access to the Army Post gym, I just don’t use it. I don’t because I have to wake up at 6am to get my husband and I’d rather not go home around 6:30 just to go back up there around 9 to use the gym for 30-60 minutes to come home and have to rush to get ready so I can work Postmates until I 4:30 so I can grab my husband and bring him back to the Army Post for his recall formation. Sundays are stressful as is so I chose to make them less stressful by exercising at home. These are the exercises I will do at home:
- Full Body Crunches. I just recently discovered these and WOW do they hurt. I try to do more of these than other crunches. They are also called the “Double Crunch.”
- Twist Crunches. These have always been my go to when I need to sculpt my sides.
- 6-Inch Killers. These go by many names but they are so good at killing your abs. I combine these with the flutter kicks under one name.
- Wiper Crunches. I haven’t done these before but I can imagine that they are good for your core.
- Planks. I always try to do these. Longest I can go is 30 seconds right now but I always challenge myself to see how long I can hold it for.
- Bicycle Crunch. I have done these for years along with the full body and twist crunches.
- Reverse Crunch. I haven’t tried these but they sound difficult.
I plan to do all of these crunches with 5 sets of 20 reps. Which means I will do the crunches 20 times, rest, and repeat until I complete 100 total crunches for each. As far as the planks go, I want to do 5 minutes total of actual planking. Meaning I will plan for 20-30 seconds, rest, and repeat until the total amount of time I plank is 5 minutes. The goal is for this to take me 30 minutes minimum but if it doesn’t, I’ll just restart with the list and start again.
Can I complete this challenge with you?
Sure! If you have an iPhone/Apple Watch/Both, you can add me via my iCloud (email@example.com) and we can challenge each other during this challenge! I’d love to compete with other people. You can never be too healthy. 🙂
Well, that’s all for now! I can’t wait to update you all on the progress of this challenge! Talk to you guys next week!
- I have my reminders on the app turned off currently. I found them too annoying though if I have issues completing this challenge, I’m definitely going to turn them back on.
- Plus, I don’t have the money with the upcoming move to go out and purchase a water bottle so I’m making due with what I have.
- I used to live off of cereal. Seriously, if I could have it for all 3 meals of the day I would and it would always be the unhealthy, sugary kind. I finally realized how bad that was and now I eat Cheerios.
- Which just so happens to be the day before my dad’s birthday!
- I will alternate through all of my exercises depending on what I feel like doing that day.
- Same setting as 20/20/20 #1.
- This one is to mostly work out my butt. I want it to be as shapely as possible.