I wanted to post this review while I still had the phone. This is one of my pre-written blog posts for this month. I did this on 7/2 while I still was using the S8+ as my daily driver waiting for my Pixel XL to come into the mail. (that review coming next month). There is a reason why I am switching back to a Google Phone and that is stated below. I’m making this simple by doing a Pros & Cons list.
- I love the support that Samsung provides for its products. There are Samsung Experience Shops in every single Best Buy location and their 1-800 number has been super useful each and every time I’ve had to call on any device that I’ve owned. I get to a person really fast and they are always super nice.
- WiFi/Cellular Connectivity/Bands – I have no issues with WiFi connectivity or cellular connectivity anywhere in my city or house. I live in a T-Mobile LTE area so going inside my work with a tin roof doesn’t dampen the signal much and in my home I have a Linksys Velop so WiFi is always fantastic. Sometimes it may drop signal but only for a second.
- Screen – This isn’t necessarily the size (though having 6.2″ to work with is nice) but the colors and vibrancy and everything. It just looks amazing.
- Camera – This camera is fucking awesome. I took some amazing pictures on the cruise that I just went on. This one in particular is my favorite. The detail is phenomenal.
As you can see the water is blue-er than in reality but the detail from the waves is spectacular. I used ALL DEFAULT settings too. I don’t know anything about cameras so I always use default with HDR off.
- Wireless Charging – It is awesome being able to just set my phone somewhere and have it just charge. I don’t use this often (as I’m using a popsocket and it doesn’t work with a popsocket) but it is awesome.
- Samsung Pay – It is awesome not having to carry my wallet around with me and knowing it will work anywhere you can swipe a card. I still take my wallet but it is nice knowing I don’t have to. It sometimes doesn’t work at WalMart which is one of the most common places I go so not having it will just make it easier for me there.
- Lag/Jitters – This is happening all to often on my brand new S8. Previous owners of Samsung phones or iPhones won’t notice it but it is there. This is the reason why I am switching… ultimately. It is just so bad. From going into the camera, switching between apps, and just overall doing normal stuff (not even anything hardcore) it lags. Especially when I use it for 2 or more hours at a time after watching Netflix on it for 2 hours before that. 🙁
- Unable to Root – You aren’t able to root the S8+ unless you want to void the manufacturer’s warranty. That’s so stupid. I want to be able to root my device if I want to. I don’t want to be limited.
- Bloatware – somewhat has to do with the previous bullet. It comes with so much stuff I don’t want. Lookout is unnecessary same with all of the other T-Mobile apps that you can only disable and not delete.
There aren’t many of each but I will say this… This phone is awesome but I can’t stand the lags and not being able to root it. I can’t wait for my Pixel XL to come in the mail on the 4th and to set it up and have it working. I just hope I get it on the 3rd (or early enough on the 4th) so I can root it first. 😛